Position Title: Utility Systems Operator (USO) III Liquid Waste (2 Positions)
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: South Fraser Works Yard, Delta
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $2,832.00 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking a USO III Liquid Waste who will be responsible for maintaining, operating and supervising one of the largest wastewater collection systems and facilities in BC. You will be troubleshooting and resolving problems, working and supporting MV trades and making adjustments as appropriate and ensuring all safety and health policies & procedures are followed while also managing environmental concerns. In addition to these responsibilities, this position will also be working standby, overtime and emergency call outs & repairs as needed in the South & East Metro Vancouver Regional District.
You are a Certified EOCP WWC III Operator who is career oriented, motivated, reliable, ready to work safely and respectfully in a team environment. This position will allow you to apply your operational, technical and supervisory skills to meet the operational needs.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all inclusive.)
- Operates, monitors and maintains the collection and drainage system facilities including pump stations, dam(s), sanitary/storm sewers, culverts, watercourses, control chambers, manholes, grit chambers, flow meters, flow control devices, debris catchers/grills, emergency generators, and odor control equipment.
- Carries out inspections to ensure efficient operation and safety of facilities, maintenance of access roads and to prevent encroachments onto easements.
- Inspects, troubleshoots and rectifies operational problems. Provides suggestions for system improvements.
- Carries out preventive and corrective maintenance tasks following established policies and procedures.
- Repairs facilities and maintains equipment such as pumps, motors, valves, instruments, etc.
- Performs system inspections, sanitary/storm sewer cleaning, alterations, lubrications, etc.
- Performs general repairs, housekeeping, painting, etc.
- Performs maintenance tasks including but not limited to: sanitary/storm sewer inspection, debris catcher/grill cleaning, valve maintenance, brush cutting/vegetation management, gravel, debris and windfall removal, slope, and bank stability enhancements, and beaver dam removal.
- Operates power tools, mowers, chain saws, jackhammers, vehicles and equipment to fulfill the needs of the position.
- Performs construction duties such as sanitary/storm sewer repairs, the raising and rebuilding of manholes and chambers, sanitary/storm sewer connections, road building and water course rehabilitation works.
- Ensures all work carried out adheres to and is in compliance with all applicable policies/procedures, including all WorkSafe and MV safety policies/procedures. Advises superiors of situations requiring review.
- Maintains operating records, submits work progress, time reporting, operations and investigative reports as required.
- Assists in the preparation of work schedules, estimates and project work as directed.
- Provides direction and control of other staff as required, to ensure the work is carried out in a safe efficient manner.
- Trains and supervises subordinates in standard operations and maintenance practices and procedures.
- May be called upon to perform any or all of the duties of the USO I or USO II.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent (Supplemented by courses in supervision, civil and mechanical technology, computers, electrical, instrumentation, etc.).
- Four (4) years or more experience in wastewater or drainage system operations and maintenance; demonstrated knowledge of in-stream works, erosion/sediment control, bank stabilization.
- BC EOCP Level III Wastewater Collections or equivalent Provincial Certification. The highest EOCP Wastewater Collections Certificate shall be maintained in good standing.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings.
- Considerable knowledge of: process and mechanical equipment; control systems; electrical and instrumentation equipment; sanitary/storm sewer repair and cleaning, and video inspection.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct and supervise work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with people expected to be associated with the work.
- Sound knowledge of the occupational hazards, WorkSafe BC regulations, policies and procedures related to the construction and maintenance of MV’s wastewater collection and drainage systems.
- Ability to use computer applications related to the position and duties.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position and willingness and ability to work shift work and/or stand-by/on call basis as required.
- Willingness and ability to undertake additional training related to the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, LGBTQ2S+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by July 3, 2023.