Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing
Senior Building Inspector
$63,973.31 - $72,937.86 annually
This is a temporary appointment until approximately June 2020. This temporary assignment may become permanent.
Your skills, confidence and initiative will be valued in this unique building inspector role
The University Endowment Lands (UEL) is located on the West Point Grey Peninsula, surrounded by Pacific Spirit Regional Park, making it a truly a beautiful place to work. Set in an unincorporated area between the City of Vancouver and the University of British Columbia, and with a population of approximately 3,000 residents, the UEL operates under the authority of the University Endowment Land Act.
The UEL Senior Building Inspector applies and enforces the UEL Land Use, Building and Community Administration Bylaw, the UEL Act and Regulations, the BC Building and Plumbing Codes, and safety codes and practices. This position conducts inspections, review plans, provides input to bylaw and policy development, and may represent the UEL in legal proceedings.
This position enjoys a positive reporting relationship to the Deputy Manager, Development Services, who has overall responsibility for building and plumbing inspection and enforcement programs within the UEL, providing support and guidance to this position as required. The Senior Building Inspector also works closely alongside the UEL planning staff and works flexibly across the planning and building inspection functions in response to fluctuating workloads due to changing volumes of permit applications.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Technical School Diploma related to Architecture or Structural Engineering Technology (2 years) from a recognized post-secondary institution and/or Trades qualification (such as a Carpenter / Plumber TQ).
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in municipal building inspection.
- A minimum of Level 1 (Level 3 preferred) Building Inspector certification from the Building Inspectors’ Association of British Columbia.
- Level 1 Plumbing Inspector certification from the Plumbing Inspectors’ Association of British Columbia.
- Experience in bylaw enforcement in a local government setting.
- Experience in residential, commercial and institutional building development permit and building permit plan checking.
For more information and to apply online by May 14, 2019, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/60170