Utility Operator 2 - Regular Full-Time
Under the general supervision of the Utilities Supervisor or Chief Operator, this position assists with the operation and maintenance of the water distribution system.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to the success of our team and creation of our community, by fostering the District of Squamish corporate values in their work: thinking beyond today, working together, acting with courage and enthusiasm, doing the right thing, and striving to do better every day.
- Follows the District of Squamish’s Customer Service Guidelines to ensure the Delivery of Outstanding Service.
- Ensures all staff are working in a safe manner following the District’s safe work procedures and policies and WorkSafe BC’s regulations.
- Performs work in accordance with established safe work procedures and participates in Occupational Health and Safety activities, tasks, and duties as determined by their supervisor.
- Operates, repairs, installs, replaces, and maintains the municipal water distribution system by ensuring best management practices are followed as well as following Federal, Provincial and Municipal rules, regulations and bylaws are being followed.
- Assists with capital project planning and implementation.
- Installs new and repairs existing water mains and services, well field and associated appurtenances, pumps, air release valves, PRV stations, hydrants, fill stations and other District water infrastructure.
- Provides general on-site supervision of Labourers, Utility Operator 1’s, and others when the Chief Operator or Utility Supervisor is not available.
- Develops maintenance programs and Safe Work Procedures (SWP) for the Utility and ensures existing programs are followed.
- Maintains clear and concise records and databases of work completed as required using paper, computer software, and handheld electronic devices.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance and construction of water distribution systems.
- Knowledge of water chlorination.
- Excellent knowledge of the District’s safety policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of occupational hazards and precautionary measures as related to the operation of maintenance and construction equipment.
- Comprehensive and current knowledge of WorkSafe BC regulations and requirements as they relate to municipal public works.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good computer and data collection/record keeping skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to deal with people in a professional manner.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to perform physical general labour duties and work.
- Ability to follow oral or written instructions and procedures.
- Ability to read blueprints, engineering plans, drawings and sketches.
- Ability to work overtime and participate in standby rotation.
- Ability to work safely and in compliance with the District of Squamish Health and Safety Policy, WorkSafe BC and WHMIS TDG Guidelines.
- Utility Operators work in a variety of locations including in the office, outdoors in all weather conditions as well as working after hours on emergency repairs.
REQUIRED TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Grade 12
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License with a safe driving record
- Minimum EOCP certification Water Distribution level 2
- Certified TCP (Traffic Control Person)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience with a water or sewer utility
- An equivalent combination of education and experience
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. This is a general list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Other related duties may be assigned in keeping with the general nature of the position.
Hours of Work: Current shifts (subject to change), 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, between the hours of 7am and 4.30pm.
Salary: $34.60 per hour
This is a Union position within the Collective Agreement of CUPE Local 2269 and the District of Squamish.