Main Purpose & Function
Engineering Services contributes to the overall City purpose by providing many services and public works facilities. These ranges from such fundamental services as water supply, sewerage, drainage, refuse removal, street access, and lighting, to regulatory functions such as traffic control, parking enforcement, transportation planning, and preservation of utility and communication corridors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Sanitation Operations Workers in Collections Operations provides direct customer service to our residents and involves curbside collection of garbage or green bin materials on assigned collection routes throughout the City. Drive refuse collections route. Operations Workers may also be assigned to
other Sanitation Branch specific work.
Sanitation operations branches function 365 days/year, applicants must be willing and able to work shift work. The shift is from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Successful applicants’ availability must meet Branch expectations in order to continue employment with the Branch.
Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
• Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years
Education and Experience:
• Up to completion of high school and some laboring and truck driving experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of safe work procedures.
• Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
• Some knowledge of collections and/or recycling.
• Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in carrying out the work.
• Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
• Ability to courteously answer questions and respectfully deal with the public.
• Skill in the use of a variety of tools and equipment.
• Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
• Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
• Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
• Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas
• Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces
Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment variety of tools and equipment.
Driver’s License and Record Checks
• A current and valid Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brakes or higher and a Satisfactory
National Safety Code driving record
◦ 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
◦ 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment
operating accident in any single year
◦ Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application
reviewed in more detail
• Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
◦ Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
◦ Insurance and Claims History for the past 3 years
Interested candidates can apply online at https://jobs.vancouver.ca/